Thursday, December 2, 2010

Interview with Anna Casady – Baker RA

Q: Why did you want to become an RA?
A: Besides the out of state tuition being really high and the great compensation RA’s get, it’s also a great resume builder. Also my RA freshman year helped me out a lot because I came here not knowing anyone and she made the transition really smooth. Overall I wanted to give back and help out freshman adjusting to college life and I’m also a big people person.


Q: What are the best and the worst things about living in the dorms?
A: Good things: Food and convenience. Not having to worry about cooking or doing dished is a really nice luxury I take advantage of. Baker is the center of campus so I’m close to everything, going to the library or gym is super easy and more flexible to get together with people. It’s also nice to have people around all the time.


Negatives: Size of the room, having 500 neighbors. The rooms are cramped and not very private. There is not really a spot to have your own space away from everyone besides your room. Everyone living in the dorms is on their own schedules and it can get loud sometimes.


Q: What is one of the worst memories you've had about being an RA and some of the best?
A: Bad Memories: Writing students up. I don’t enjoy that aspect of the job, but you have to do it. It’s frustrating when freshman don’t realize that it’s for the betterment of the hall, safety, and not a personal attack by me to them. I have to follow a protocol and if they hate me for doing my job it’s hard not to take things personally.


Best Memories: I've had a ton of fun going to Pearl Street with residents for dinner or just hanging out in the dorms. I've made some really close friends with girls on my floor and I really appreciate those relationships. Also the bond a staff has is really fun and we always make the best out of every situation, like training. It's a lot of work but can be a ton of fun with the right people.


Q: What is one of the greatest challenges of being an RA?
A: I think the greatest challenge being an RA is balancing time. The job can really suck away other aspects of my life like school and friends outside the job. Sometimes it's hard to keep in touch with people when I'm busy with the job and school.


Q: How is it to be an authority figure among peers you live with?
A: I don’t like to think of myself as an authority figure, I prefer mentor. I always try to help them with school or just to hang out. The only time I really feel like an authority figure is dealing with judicial aspects of the job. That can be tough because it changes the dynamic of the friendship or mentor/resident relationship and sometimes it’s hard to get that back.


Q: Does being an RA affect you or your social life with living with freshmen?
A: Friends I've had since freshman year have to be patient and understand that I'm busy a lot of the time. It is more my responsibility to get in touch with people and I have to make sure that I make time for them. On a positive note I also make a ton of friends being an RA. I keep in touch with a lot of people from last year and am making new friends this year as well. I like the opportunity to meet a lot of different people besides maybe just people in my major if I hadn't been an RA.


Q: What is the most important thing you have gained from being an RA?
A: The most important think I’ve gained is learning how to respond to any situation. You never know what type of problem might come up on your floor or when you are on duty so I feel like that is a really good skill to have. Also it can transfer to a lot of different things like a job in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment